Tuesday, September 23, 2008

"boy these pretzels are makin' me thirsty"

remember on seinfeld when kramer had a seizure when he heard mary hart's voice on entertainment tonight?
that's what happens to me when i hear this group/song

it's an 80's group, (remember glamrock) and i don't even want to say their name i detest them THAT much.
yet several times recently (inexplicably) the radio station that i listen to on the way to and from work has played this tune causing me to almost crash my car when they get to the chorus.
WHY are they doing this?
nobody, seriously, NOBODY in the world wants to hear this.
they were a raging bunch of eejits who dressed and acted like morons and who were so far up themselves they were the only ones who didn't know it.
not to put too fine a point on it.

AND they couldn't sing.
and for certain nobody in the world liked this song.

it's just not possible.
what the hell is this dumb song about anyway and why, why, why are they singing it in the first place?
i want them to stop.
STOP! i tell you.
no more.
i never want to hear this godawful song again.

you might say, why didn't i just turn the dial?
well, i was powerless.
the song renders me imobile with fear.
remember kramer?
how he twitched, jerked and then fell to the floor?
he was powerless too.

these are the words. (the italics in brackets are mine of course.)
"You gone too far this time
But I'm dancing on the valentine (right)
I tell you somebody's fooling around -With my chances on the dangerline
I'll cross that bridge when I find it
Another day to make my stand, (make sense so far?)

High time is no time for deciding If I should find a helping hand,
oh..So why dont you use it?
(this is the part that sets my teeth on edge, specifically the vibrato on the word 'why'.)
Try not to bruise it (whut?)
Buy time don't lose it
(chorus)The reflex is an only child, he's waiting in the park (huh?)
The reflex is in charge of finding treasure in the dark
And watching over lucky clover isnt that bizarre (eh?)

Every little thing the reflex does leaves you answered with a Question mark (you don't say)
I'm on a ride and I want to get off (please, don't let me keep you)
But they won't slow down the roundabout (they're hoping you'll fall off and hurt your daft self)
I sold the renoir and the tv set (get out of here)
Dont want to be around when this gets out (leave already)

(chorus)The reflex is an only child, he's waiting by the park
The reflex is in charge of finding treasure in the dark (uh-huh)
And watching over lucky clover isnt that bizarre (maybe not to you)
Every little thing the reflex does leaves you answered with a Question mark (?????)

there's more but i can't take it.
won't somebody stop them?
and see if you can do something about them jonas boys too while you're on.
'giddyup'

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

never was a Duran Duran fan either -impressed you knew the words though -what was it all about?!Believe they were 'new romantics' rather than 'glam rock'-wasnt that Gary Glitter/Sweet/ Slade/ 1970's??!

Clippy Mat said...

vron: 'course i don't know the words i looked 'em up. and yes, they were new romantics that's right. you're showing your age, as in, younger than me, ha ha

clinka said...

i LOVED duran duran...
john taylor
nick rhodes (gasp)
simon lebon
someone else

i didn't even have to google that...
jbxo

Clippy Mat said...

clinka:
that is so ........... unforgiveable.
simon
le
bon??
urrrrrrggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh
yeuch
and
double that :-)

Crazy Mo said...

I hear ya, Pat! And now, thanks to you, I have this song in my head. Way to go! I will find a way to exact my revenge ... mwhaa haa haaaa!

Anonymous said...

.. and I'm younger than all so I'm lost. But I'm sure you're right!

Anonymous said...

Although I didn't like them much ITook my daughter to one of their concerts n they were really c***. Also took her to see Stones at St. James' Park & although mega years older they were much better truly awesome! I oft used to frequent the bar in Whitley Bay called'Rio' that was co-owned by DuranDuran's bass player, but stopped going cos it was usually full of pretentious wannabes. I eventually used all my megashoulderpads as potholders!! For really terrific lyrics look up some of Adam Ants tripe!!My son had their album - Oh the shame & mortification to have such a thing in the home of a lifelong Zepplin fan.